"So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true...For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation." Joseph Smith

Saturday, August 20, 2011

A New Companion


So . . . We received the telephone call for transfers yesterday.  Sadly, my companion is going to be transferred to Milano.  She has been such a great trainer and friend...I've learned so much.  As for myself, I am also going to Milano..................................................................................................................... to pick up a greenie!  Yes, that's exactly what I thought.  In a moment of true inspiration or true insanity, President feels that the Lord wants me to be a trainer.  At two and a half months.  As an American.  In Firenze.  It is unheard of, even for a mission as young as us.  I think I will go with temporary insanity.  And thus I became an aunt for real and a ''mom'' the same day.  In fact, we received the call at almost the exact same time Elisa's baby was born, more or less.

How do I feel?  Still in shock.  Scared out of my mind, nervous, vastly inadequate in the language among other things, excited, I think I will throw up, all rolled together.  Please say lots and lots of prayers because there is no way I can possibly do this without the Lord's help.  In fact, that is the only way to do it.  I will trust and hope with all my might that He knows what I am doing, because I sure do not.  It will be hard enough language-wise, let alone everything else!  However, I will try and learn all that I can from this challenging experience, maybe it's just the Lord's way of humbling me, because heaven knows I need it!  I do not know who my companion is yet because they arrive today.  I will be picking her up tomorrow.

As for the miracle of the week, when we arrived in church on thursday for a meeting, there was a note taped to the door which essentially said,

 ''My name is Giorgio.  I've tried calling numerous times but no one has responded.  I would like to receive a copy of 'The Book of Mormon' if possible.  When you read this, I would ask you to please contact me.  I will come by on Sunday around 10, hoping to find you.''  

We called him immediately and had a small lesson with him that very night.  Turns out he's studied almost every Christian religion extensively and already knew about Joseph Smith.  In fact, he even told us how he read James 1:5!  He came to church on sunday and we found out he's studying at an evangelist school, broke rules by missing meals to meet with us and come to church, and is from the south.  He's actually returning home this week but may return to Firenze, come September.  Who knows what will happen but it shows how the Lord prepares those who are searching for the truth, no matter where they may be.

As for Erica, she prayed out loud for the first time yesterday, something she has not done her entire life because she's been terribly frightened to do so.  I was almost in tears.  Yes, Firenze is a difficult city, but there are always trials before the miracles.  I am certain more are around the corner, especially with the faith of my new companion who will have the fire of the MTC.  I am grateful for the chance to be here and for all of your love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment