"So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true...For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation." Joseph Smith

Friday, July 1, 2011

Miracles Do Happen!

MIRACLES DO HAPPEN!  This week Erica came to church for the first time.  It was so cool to see her pull up and crack a big, huge smile.  Also, it was a testimony to me of how important it is to work with the members.  In the past, I guess most investigators don't get a warm reception, but they were so good to Erica.  First of all, one of them went all the way across the city to pick her up (2 hours there and back to get her and take her afterwards), the German sisters who have come to 3 or 4 lessons with us always sat by her to help her understand, anyone who knew an inkling of German came up to her and tried to say something, and many people who have attended branch council and knew that she was coming came up and shook her hand.  I wanted to cry.  The only unfortunate thing is that her hearing aid didn't work, so she couldn't hear anything.  But she said she felt really good, loved the music and children, and just felt bad she couldn't understand.  When we visited her yesterday, we talked about it again and answered her questions.

Also, a less active family came too!  Well, the husband and the son came but the mom had to stay home.  Because it's socialized healthcare, there's this thing called 'control' who can come around and see if you are following doctor's orders.  If not, they don't pay.  She had just had an operation so she had to stay home in case they came.  But we went and visited her afterwards and had a great lesson about the family.  As we were leaving, she ran after us and asked us if we could come back next week to do a Family Home Evening and teach their friend who is not a member but accepted to hear about the gospel from us! 

Thinking about this, as well as the fact that Erica is a referral from the members, it just helped me realize that the Lord really is guiding us.  After much praying and discussion with leaders, we've felt that we really need to focus on the branch, the members, and the less actives.  Sure, maybe we're not doing as much 'finding work' but I think the Lord has allowed us to see that we are doing what He would have us do.  Plus, we still do 'finding' when we go to the houses of less actives and such by doing 'casa' or knocking doors in the area, or trying to talk to people on the bus.  (Although that one hasn't worked out too well for me.  They usually think I'm crazy.)  But I know that this is the Lord's work and that if we seek to do it in His way, He will bless our efforts.  Because heaven knows there is no way we could do it ourselves. 

Funny story of the week:  This less active family really wants to watch a short film with us about the sculpter who walked 35 km to the temple every week to sculpt, even after he lost a leg.  I thought they kept talking about 'scarpe' or shoes, which I thought was a bit strange but maybe it was refering to the leg he made out of wood or something.  Anyway, when we were planning I said, °Okay, we'll go to this house and watch the film about the shoes with them and sunday.° Sorella Modugno said, °Shoes, what do you mean?  Oh about the 'scalperino!'  Scalperino, Sorella, not Scarperino° and I said °Well, he doesn't have a leg, so I guess that means he doesn't have a shoe, either.°  It's much more funny in Italian °Ma lui e senze una gamba è significa senza scarpe° 

I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment