"So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true...For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation." Joseph Smith

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A New Companion

Sarah's last two emails have been late in coming for a good reason - she headed to Milan to pick up a new missionary to train.  Lucky for her, Richard is also training a new missionary this transfer so they are enjoying the excitement and miracles training brings.  Here is what she wrote:

The miracle of the week was when one Sofia came to church. She is the daugher of my favorite members, who has made some wrong choices. We had dinner with her and her family, and went shopping with her on pday the week before. I was there playing the sacrament him when her mom and I both looked at the back doors, then the mom caught my eye and winked because she had come. It's so easy to stop going, and so hard to stop coming back. But there are so many blessings that come when we do.

We had two cool experiences teaching the Plan of Salvation this week, one with Anna and the other with Rocco and his family. The restored truth of eternal families is one of the most precious truths the gospel has to offer. As we testified of the chance of seeing our deceased loved ones again, the spirit was so strong. The temple really is the goal, not just baptism. Like President Monson said, we have not fully experienced all of the blessings of the gospel until we enter the temple together with our loved ones. How grateful I am that we have the chance to be together for all eternity, and not just for this life.

I have a wonderful new companion, Sorella Bush from Wisconsin.  (See picture)  Her Italian is already almost better than mine!  Her dad served in Southern Italy over 30 years ago, and she took a bit at the Y (but thankfully like me she is not a cougar!)  She is a wonderful teacher and willing to try new things.  Her dad owns a canoe shop, so she loves the outdoors - hence we get along really well.  She has a younger brother that's just finishing his papers, so she'll be like me and Rich.  It's super sweet to use my sarcasm again, and I am learning so much from her.  She is just what Bergamo needs.  Plus, I really love the new 12 week program that gives us more companionship study time to do role plays, etc, so we can immediately put it into practice.

With my new companion, we are seeing miracles.  We had a sweet lesson with Rocco, Bruna, and Elena about the Book of Mormon yesterday.  They weren't reading, so we read about the seed in Alma 32, and the need to nourish ourselves spiritually every day.  They came up with the plan to read together for 10 minutes at dinner every night.  They then commented how much prayer has made a difference in their home.  Rocco said, ''I even prayed for the Sorelle missionaries, that they would be tranquil, and that that Sorella Pastano would get home safely.''  Please keep praying for them.  They would be such a strength to the church here.

Speaking of the church, they are breaking from 2 wards and forming yet another branch.  This is the first province to do so.  Everyone has started to catch missionary fever and are helping us out a bunch.  Last week, we had a member present at every one of our progressing investigators.  We also had an inactive young woman call us and tell us that she wants to take the lessons because she wants to come back to church.  On sunday, one of our members brought a friend to church who had never been and has never met the missionaries before, and we went to young women's with her.  It's so neat to be a part of the growth here in Bergamo.  And we have more invitations to members than we can handle, because we need time to see our investigators, too!

It is so humbling how much the Lord is teaching me right now.  Training this time is much different than the last.  I've had to grow my faith so much more than before, realizing that it is literally impossible without His help.  My prayers have become much more fervent, and my desire to serve with all of my heart, might, mind and strength has increased.  And the Lord is multiplying our small efforts into many miracles.  For example, last week I was worried about making it to 20 lessons when we had 8 to go with only three planned in two days.  I learned to hard way to trust in Him completely.  That saturday, as we were walking around knocking doors, people didn't even respond on the telephone but we just received ''click'' after ''click'' as they let us in.  As we walked up to one door, the lady opened and said, ''Come on in.'' without even an introduction.  We were able to teach them about the Book of Mormon.  That night I thanked my Heavenly Father for doing that which I could not, as we reached 21 lessons.  

I've reflected a lot on the story of Enos.  He does his best, putting in the effort to climb the tallest mountain and then molten out 16 stones.  Most likely he didn't get all 16 right the first time.  And then after all that time and effort, he humbly comes before the Lord, telling Him that it may not be the best plan or course of action, but that it was the best he could come up with.  All he expects is for the Lord to touch the stones.  But then the Lord blesses him beyond measure, beyond his expections, and he is privelged to see the Lord.  Instead of simply receiving the light he was in need of, he saw the Light and Life of the world, our Savior.  It can be so with us. As we do our part, doing the best we can and humbly asking the Lord to make up the difference, He will bless us beyond our wildest dreams.  After all, we are His children.

-Sorella Jacobson

No comments:

Post a Comment