"So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true...For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation." Joseph Smith

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sacrifices bring forth Blessings

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!  Because they do not celebrate Thanksgiving here (obviously), everyone is already starting to decorate for Christmas.  All of the shops are changing their windows and people have even started hanging lights.  The city has put up wreaths and such and everyone is starting to get in the Christmas mood.  I love it!  It's like an extra two weeks of Christmas. 
 
On Saturday, we had over 30 people in our beginning English class!  It was insane.  We teach beginning, while the other elders teach intermediate and advanced.  When they came back in at the end, one of them came up to me and said, ''What happened here?!'' with a big grin on his face.  Because my companion is Italian, it's basically up to me to teach.  I guess we must be doing okay because more and more people keep coming.  Plus, our members are so awesome that many of them are friends that they have invited.  Many new participants also decided to stay for FHE afterwards, and we ended up getting appointments with 8 of them!  (4 of them are a part of the same family!)  We are super excited for these contacts and hope that they will turn into investigators.
 
In other news, it appears I have been called to be the pianist in BOTH wards now.  I play in sacrament every sunday, and was in the other ward with one of our investigators (who was previously excommunicated) and because no one plays in that ward either I stepped in.  We are also doing an English/Italian choir that meets before English class and I am in charge of that as well.  Who knew that I would use music so much! 
 
Julie is still on track for her baptism on the 26th and never ceases to surprise me with her faith.  She always has a ''one-liner'' that I can write in my journal after every lesson.  For example, yesterday we were talking about the law of chastity and she didn't seem to be getting it at first.  But by the end, however, this is what she said, ''So, if I met a guy and he says he wants to marry me, I will say 'Good, you can come and meet the Anziani (Elders) at church and we will wait until after we get married.'''  It was much more hilarious in Italian, and I also had to edit it a bit.   
 
Apart from that, things are going really well.  We're trying hard to be obedient so the Lord can lead us to those who are prepared to be baptized, because we are in need of more investigators.  We have 6 or 7 that we meet with regularly, but not all of them are willing to make the changes necessary in their lives.  The gospel is a gospel of sacrifice, which makes it difficult.  However, the blessings far outweigh any sacrifice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment