"So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true...For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation." Joseph Smith

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Busy Bergamo

It's hard to ever know what to write you all because every day so much happens, but then looking back it's hard to remember what happened!  Yesterday the Lord blessed us with six lessons in one day, three of which with people we had never met before.  Imagine this scene:  an American and a Ghanese, in Italy, speaking German.  The best part was my companion breaking in in Italian after 5 minutes saying, ''Wait, are you guys speaking German?''  That sent us off into hysterics.  We found out he's actually a member but moved in five months ago and hasn't been to church in a year.  He said it was a miracle and kept asking how we knew to come and knock on his door.  Before he told us he was a member, he went to get his bible and said, ''Does this look familiar?''  At first I was struck by the fact that it was a King James version and then I read ''The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.''  Needless to say we'll be putting him into contact with the elders.  

The miracle of the week was the fact that Marlene came to church.  She's been working with the sisters since before I got here, and said, ''You could have been Jehovah's Witnesses or anyone else and I would have let them in.'' and said she wasn't really looking for the truth, just wanted to hear the word of God.  But now her husband is listening to the lessons too, and was coming to church with her and their daughter when they got into an argument and he went home and she came, which was ironic because he was the one who finally said yes to coming to church and she had said ''we'll see.''  They both plan on coming this week and have family who are members and friends here in the ward.  We have high hopes for them.
 
This week we've really been working with members and have had  many spiritually uplifting lessons with them.  Now more and more of them are willing to help by coming to lessons, inviting friends over, etc.  Things are really moving forward and I'm excited to be here in Bergamo.  Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment