"So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true...For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation." Joseph Smith

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

More from Milan...


The work in Milan is just crazy!  There are so many people...every time we go to a park or knock on doors, we seem to have a lesson.  The only problem is that no one here really wants to commit because the gospel and its blessings means making changes.  We are constantly talking to people because you have to jump from bus to train to subway to get anywhere.  Hardly anyone is acutally Milanese, but from other cities or other countries.  But it gives the city a pretty cool metropolitan feel.  It's actually almost fun to talk to people, so that makes it easier to get a lot of contacts. 
 
For example this week:
1- Someone told me that my face was similar to the face of Jesus on the pass-along card I gave her...and that my companion's was more like Maria's.
2- We prayed with a Buddhist in her house, and she wants us to talk with her Buddhist group about our religion.
3- One man told us we were going to hell because we completely missed the message in the Bible, and that Christ's church has been in function for thousands of years.
4- We met a man who is starting his own religion, and as we prayed his wife saw a white light over my companion's head, which signifies purity and that she brings a message from God.
5- Last night we were ringing doorbells outside of a building, and when we said we had a message about Jesus Christ that we know is true and can bless her, she said, ''I believe you.  I don't think that you would lie.''  So she let us in and we taught the Restoration.
 
As you can see, every day is an adventure.  Thank heavens I have my companion, Sorella Padula.  She is indefatiguable.  But we also laugh a lot, too.  We already have a reputation for music because her voice is AMAZING.  President came to our sacrament meeting sunday to bring the new senior couple, and Sorella Wolfgramm said, ''Don't have too much fun.''  I told her we already broke that rule, so President said he would have to transfer us.  We turned to each other and said, ''Oh no, we absolutely despise each other, we cannot get along at all.'' He laughed and said he would have to keep us together until we get along.
 
There is an awesome family in the ward, the Astudillos.  They are from Ecquador.  The kids are so cute, always running to give us hugs and drawing pictures for us.  We had a lesson with their friends, Johnny and Karen and their six year old Gerald.  We taught the Restoration.  The next week, we met with them for another FHE and they had a million questions about the Book of Mormon.  We spent over an hour just answering questions like, ''Why do they call you mormons if you're Christian?'' and other really good questions.  At the end, they said, ''Now we are that much more interested to read and find out more.''  We were bummed because they said they couldn't come to church, but on sunday during sunday school, the door opens and they walk in with Fratello Astudillo!  They liked church and seem to be coming along really well.  It was a really neat blessing.
 
Yesterday was yet another holiday, and we went up to the Boy Scout camp to meet with the members and have a barbeque lunch.  It seems like the missionaries haven't worked much with members in the past, because everyone was so excited to have us there.  We were swamped the whole time talking to everyone, including some non-member friends.  We sang and shared a message along with the two elders in our ward.  We really feel that working with the members is key.  There is already a new excitement about missionary work in the air, and as we go and meet a few members every week, they tell us things like ''The missionaries haven't been here in over a year!'' and many and trying to invite friends over for an FHE.  It truly is the better way.  In fact, of every 1000 investigators, only 1 person will be baptized that is found by the missionaries.  But over 650 are baptized if they are friends and are taught in a members home. 
 
The other day I was reading in 3 Nefi 11 for the first time in a long time.  I read about becoming the sons and daughters of God, which has been on my mind a lot lately.  If we are already all children of our Heavenly Father, what does it mean to become sons and daughters of God?  As I kept looking, I found a cross-reference I had written in my English scriptures, in Moroni 10:33.  Because in order to become sons and daughters, we need to become more like Him.  Or as he commands, Be ye therefore perfect, even as I, or my Father in Heaven, is perfect.  This is what Moroni says,
 
And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye asanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the bblood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your csins, that ye become dholy, without spot. 
 
It is only through the Atonement that we truly become sons and daughters of God.  We can apply the redeeming power, cancelling our sins and errors.  But the sactifying power of the Atonement applies His grace and allows us to overcome our faults and character flaws, becoming a bit more Christlike each and every day.  I know that this is not only true, but I have experienced it daily out here in the mission field.  We are the only ones that can deny us access to the sanctification and purification of the Atonement of our Lord and Savior.  It is difficult and often painful to look at our weaknesses, but if we will but humble ourselves enough, they can become strengths as we prayerfully make the necessary changes to come closer to our Redeemer.  

I love you all!
 
Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment